Acrylic cabinets are trending, especially in modern kitchens. With is glossy, mirror-like sheen and vibrant colors and acrylic finish can really set your kitchen apart. But what is acrylic? Is it right for your home?
What Are Acrylic Cabinets?
Acrylic finishes are made of plastic resins. It’s non-toxic, shatter-resistant, and doesn’t chip or crack easily. There are primarily two types of acrylic cabinets, solid acrylic doors and acrylic faced doors. The solid version is exactly what it sounds like. The door is completely made of the resin materials which gives it a richer, more even color. Acrylic faced doors are more affordable. In this case, sheets of the finish is pasted onto and MDF board, covered with a protective layer and sealed at the edges.
Pros of Acrylic
- Ultra glossy appearance that offers a brilliant textural contrast you can’t find in other finishes.
- It’s very durable, resistant to moisture, and won’t fade because of its high UV resistance
- Easy to clean and maintain, simply wipe down with warm soapy water.
- It comes in a wider range of colors and patterns that allow you to fully customize your design
Cons of Acrylic
- Fingerprints, dirt, and stains are easily visible on the glossy surface
- It is more expensive than other smooth finishes like laminate
- While many homeowners love the statement acrylic cabinets make, it’s not for everyone which can be an issue if you plan to sell your home.
The vibrance and versatility of Acrylic cabinets can be really tempting, but it does take a bit of courage to take on this bold look. If you’re looking to tone it down a bit focus on neutral colors or patterns. You’ll still get the modern look you love, without worrying about it looking dated in the years to come.
Are acrylic cabinets right for you? Contact us today to find out!